Changing the U.S. Health Care System: Key Issues in Health Services Policy and Management, 3rd Edition
Ronald Anderson, Thomas Rice, Gerald Kominski
Hardcover: 744 pages
(click the button below for the very best available price)
"Under one cover can be found the basic data and research relevant to virtually all important health policy issues, as well sophisticated analytic material on current problems and their range of possible solutions." —Steven A. Schroeder, M.D., president and CEO, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Explore in-depth the possibilities for health and policy reform, including the most current thought on three key components of health care policy:
- improving access
- controlling costs
- ensuring quality
Written by a stellar panel of experts in the field of health care policy, this book highlights the most recent research relevant to health policy issues.
This valuable resource also includes analyses of current health care policy challenges and presents a wide-range of viable solutions. Researchers working in health policy from a wide range of perspectives summarize existing empirical research on their specialties and discuss research and management strategies that can be used to address current problems. The authors are all recognized as top researchers in the field, drawing on their own investigations to address such issues as AIDS, ethics, costs, quality, malpractice, and regulation versus competition. In addition, the book contains an overview of the opportunities in the growing fields of public health and health policy. Contributions include:
- Improving Access to Care in America: Individual and Contextual Indicators (Ronald M. Andersen, Pamela L. Davidson).
- Ethnic Disparities in Health Status (Antronette K. Yancey, Roshan Bastani, Beth A. Glenn).
- Disparities in Health Care (Leo S. Morales, Alexander N. Ortega).
- Public Policies to Extend Health Care Coverage (E. Richard Brown, with Shana Alex Lavarreda).
- Measuring Health Care Costs and Trends (Thomas H. Rice).
- Containing Health Care Costs (Thomas H. Rice, Gerald F. Kominski).
- Controlling Pharmaceutical Prices and Expenditures (Stuart O. Schweitzer, William S. Comanor).
- Measuring Outcomes and Health-Related Quality of Life (Patricia A. Ganz, Mark S. Litwin, Ron D. Hays, Robert M. Kaplan).
- Evaluating the Quality of Care (Elizabeth A. McGlynn).
- Public Release of Information on Quality (Elizabeth A. McGlynn, John L. Adams).
- Health Care Information Systems (Jeff Luck, Paul Fu Jr.)
- Performance Measurement of Nursing Care (Jack Needleman, Ellen T. Kurtzman, Kenneth W. Kizer).
- Long-Term Care and the Elderly Population (Steven P. Wallace, Emily K. Abel, Nadereh Pourat, Linda Delp).
- AIDS in the Twenty-First Century: Challenges for Health Services and Public Health (David S. Zingmond, William E. Cunningham).
- Health Reform for Children and Families (Moira Inkelas, Neal Halfon, David Lee Wood, Mark A. Schuster).
- Mental Health Services and Policy Issues (Susan L. Ettner, Janet C. Link).
- Women’s Health: Key Issues in Access to Health Insurance Coverage and to Services Among Nonelderly Women (Roberta Wyn, Beatriz M. Solís).
- Homeless Persons (Lisa Arangua, Lillian Gelberg).
- Managed Care and the Growth of Competition (Gerald F. Kominski, Glenn A. Melnick).
- Medicare Reform (Gerald F. Kominski, Jeanne T. Black, Thomas H. Rice).
- Public Health and Personal Health Services (Lester Breslow, Jonathan E. Fielding).
- The Continuing Issue of Medical Malpractice Liability (Ruth Roemer).
- Ethical Issues in Public Health and Health Services (Pauline Vaillancourt Rosenau, Ruth Roemer).
"The authoritative book on the U.S. health care system. Any student, scholar, executive, or policymaker who wants to understand a particular phenomenon should consult it." —Deborah A. Freund, vice chancellor and provost, professor of public administration, Syracuse University
"As in the earlier edition, this book provides the reader with a remarkably comprehensive assessment of the key contemporary policy and management issues facing America's health care system. A wonderful map to guide readers through the challenges and complexities of our health care system." —Howard S. Zukerman, director, Center for Health Management Research professor, department of health services, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington
"This superb book provides a thorough and authoritative overview of the complex U.S. health care system. There are excellent chapters on such diverse topics as policies to extend ...coverage (a brief history of health insurance), measuring health care costs, pharmaceutical prices, evaluating the quality of care, and medicare reform. ...The topics and chapters are so well conceived that the material remains highly informative and relevant despite [changes in the industry]. This outstanding, comprehensive resource on the U.S. health care system is sure to be of great value to students, educators, and scholars." —Eugene C. Rich, M.D.(Creighton University Medical Center), in Doody Enterprises Book Review Service
You can view excerpts of this book here:
Ronald Anderson is the Fred W. and Pamela K. Wasserman Professor of Health Services and professor in the department of sociology at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Thomas Rice is professor, department of health services, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Public Health. Gerald Kominski is an assistant professor, department of health services and associate director, Center for Health Policy Research, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Public Health. They are the coeditors of the first edition of Changing the U.S. Health Care System (Jossey-Bass, 1998).
You may also be interested in / Directory of Healthcare Recruiters /
Jump to a List / Health Administration & Leadership / Physician Executive, Medical Staff & Practice Management / Finance, Accounting, Economics, Billing & Reimbursement / Coding for Hospital, Physician & Clinical Services / Law, Malpractice, Ethics, Accreditation & Compliance / Quality Improvement, Outcomes & Customer Service / Risk Management, Security, Error Reduction & Patient Safety / Information Systems, Technology & Medical Records / Clinical Management & Executive Nursing / Behavioral Health, Social Work & Psychiatry Management / Human Resources, Management & Supervision / Directories, Data, Trends & Benchmarks / Software & CD-ROMs / Gift Ideas & Recommended Gifts / Journals, Magazines & Newsletters / Search for Books / Books Index /