You are here > Home > Reading Lists > Law, Ethics, Malpractice, Accreditation & Compliance > Medical Law & Ethics
Medical Law and Ethics, 3rd Edition
Softcover: 380+ pages
(click the button below for the very best currently available price for this important resource)
Having a balanced understanding of legal and ethical concepts and applying them to a multitude of real-life clinical and administrative situations is essential to any health professional.
This book provides this balance by helping health professionals understand both the intention as well as the realities of the law. All the while, preparing them for the major ethical considerations and dilemmas they may encounter.
Appropriate for anyone working toward or already from within a career in the allied health industry, this legal resource provides a foundation of all of the essentials including:
the legal system,
the patient/physician relationship,
professional liability and medical malpractice,
public duties of the physician or provider,
the medical record, and
Features of the new edition include:
full-color images illustrate concepts and provide a dynamic reader experience;
integrated case studies illustrate real-world examples of legal issues and principles in actual medical settings; and
actual legal citations are highlighted throughout the text to assist with in-depth research.
Points to Ponder gives readers an opportunity to answer tough medical ethical dilemmas.
Med Tips scattered throughout each chapter that offer brief scenarios and quick information about law and ethics.
Put-It-To-Practice end-of-chapter activities that provide a clinical correlation to each chapter topic.
Web Hunt internet activities at the end of every chapter.
Exercises that test comprehension with matching and multiple-choice questions.
This overview of medical law and ethics is written in straightforward language for non-lawyer healthcare professionals who must be able to cope with multiple legal and ethical issues they encounter while working in a variety of settings, such as the medical office, hospitals, clinics, and skilled nursing facilities.
This bestseller presents a wealth of timely information on the legal and ethical principles in healthcare. Noted for its straightforward style in which it acquaints readers with essential information, the book examines topics such as the patient/physician relationship, professional liability, medical malpractice prevention, the medical record, confidentiality, bioethical issues, and HIPAA. Completely revised in a new 3rd edition, this overview of medical law and ethics is written in straightforward language for non-lawyer healthcare professionals. It is designed to help them better understand their ethical obligation to themselves, their patients, and their employer. New to this edition are:
- changes in contract law
- hiring practices such as personnel policy manual, interview process, legal implications, sexual harassment, discrimination issues relating to selecting employees, incompetent and dishonest colleagues
- expanded coverage of Privacy Law and confidentiality, covering more on confidentiality, HIPAA and other laws affecting the disclosure of personal information
- expanded coverage of Consent, including more about informed and uninformed consent, problems when implementing consent, the right to refuse treatment.
Also discussed are:
- Physician's Orders: what to do when the health care worker disagrees with the orders, what orders can be carried out with or without a written physician's orders;
- Malpractice Avoidance; and
- Truth-telling as in cases of patients who do not want to be told their diagnosis or families who do not wish to have the patient told.
New also are:
- Legal cases throughout the text, which illustrate the history of law and common malpractice issues.
- Case Studies that highlight real-life situations to stimulate problem solving.
- Points to Ponder gives students an opportunity to answer tough medical ethical dilemmas.
- Med Tips scattered throughout each chapter that offer brief scenarios and quick information about law and ethics.
- Put-It-To-Practice end-of-chapter activities that provide a clinical correlation to each chapter topic.
- Web Hunt internet activities at the end of every chapter.
- End-of-Chapter Exercises that test comprehension with matching and multiple-choice questions.
- Expanded “Web Hunt” assistance; and
- More Case Studies.
This book is for all those in the medical, healthcare, and allied health field in a variety of settings such as the medical office, hospitals, clinics, and skilled nursing facilities.
(information provided by the publisher)
You may also be interested in / The Directory of Healthcare Recruiters /
Jump to a List / Health Administration & Leadership / Physician Executive, Medical Staff & Practice Management / Finance, Accounting, Economics, Billing & Reimbursement / Coding for Hospital, Physician & Clinical Services / Law, Malpractice, Ethics, Accreditation & Compliance / Quality Improvement, Outcomes & Customer Service / Risk Management, Security, Error Reduction & Patient Safety / Information Systems, Technology & Medical Records / Clinical Management & Executive Nursing / Behavioral Health, Social Work & Psychiatry Management / Human Resources, Management & Supervision / Directories, Data, Trends & Benchmarks / Software & CD-ROMs / Gift Ideas & Recommended Gifts / Journals, Magazines & Newsletters / Search for Books / Books Index /